Friday, February 20, 2015

2015 - Walk It Off! #HealthKwest & #GenghisGrillAd

Today's challenge it is to walk it off!  I have been walking everyday approximately 4 miles and weight training about every other day.  I may not be losing the weight as fast as I would like to see it come off but it is. I know as we age our metabolism changes and slows down, I have seen this especially since I turned 50 and to believe this year I turn 52 years of age.  I never thought I would see the day that I would be over 50 years and classified as an mid-life adult. Well that big day did come and go without injury or insult to myself esteem.
IMG_1770
2-18-15I

I along with many other individuals suffer with anxiety disorder and putting my life blogging my progress and life story on these pages is a new experience.  I feel that I am opening myself up to judgmental individual.  Anxiety disorder is the most common mental illness in the U.S.A., which affects 40 million adults 18 and older. It is a treatable disorder, it cost the US > 42 billion a year in healthcare.  They are 3 to 4 times likely to see the doctor and develop complex set of risks factors. Generalized Anxiety disorder affects 6.8 million adults, or 3.1% and women are twice as likely to be affected.  Individuals can experience exaggerated worry and tension, "often expecting the worst, even when there is no apparent reason for concern. They anticipate disaster and are overly concerned about money, health, family, work, or other issues. 
IMG_1764
Early morning brisk walk!
IMG_1765IMG_1766 (1)
So why on a day that we are suppose to talk about walking did I start out talking about anxiety. Well the strangest thing happened after I became a contestant for genghis grill  health challenge. My team (made up of my friends), started encouraging me to go back to daily long walks (3-5 miles a day). Last year I  was totally hooked on walking but when I became busy with work and school I slowly stopped going. Now that I think about it, when I walked last year, my anxiety was in check. My return to walking has shown similar success. I wake up before the crack of dawn (since I remain extremely busy) and go for a long walk by myself, with friends or my husband Adam. I have not missed since starting this program and once again my anxiety and anticipatory fears are in check. This is an added benefit of participating in this program.

IMG_1767
Sporting my awesome sweat band...
 #HealthKwest & #GenghisGrillAd 

No comments:

Post a Comment